Yesterday I had to take one of my little ones to the dentist. I was told that I needed to bring her in at 8:00 in the morning and to plan on about seven hours. I was also told that they would have to put her under while they cleaned her teeth. Here is a rundown of the prices they charged me:
1 catheterization IV...$32
1 IV drip line...............$15.20
1 Sodium Chloride......$26.80
1 Sharps disposal fee..$3.40 (I guess I should have offered to throw it in the trash myself)
1 teeth cleaning...........$165.50
2 x-rays.........................$45
1 isofluorane................$51.50 (does anyone even know what this is?)
2 Dental nerve block...$68
2 extraction...................$34.60 (perhaps Blake could have pulled out his pliers)
1 molar extraction........$58.50 (this one must have been a doozy to pull)
14 Clavamox..................$31.08
4 Rimadyl......................$26.80
It turns out that she had two teeth that were so loose, they had to be pulled. She also had one tooth that was abscessed. They told me they would have to take a minimum of two x-rays and possibly more. So my grand total was $561.24. Now, some of you might say well, that's the price you have to pay to keep your kids healthy. But what if I told you this was for my DOG!
Yup that's right. $560 stinkin' dollars to get my dogs teeth cleaned. What has this world come to? I grew up with dogs. We always had one or two. I never remember my parents taking them to get their teeth cleaned, and guess what, they lived happy and productive lives. They played outside. They ate horse poop. They slept on my bed at night. And we NEVER brushed their teeth! Now you might say, "so just don't do it then, if it's such a problem". Well, here's the dilemma. Whenever I take her to the vet to get her shots updated, they shake their fingers at me and say "you are such a bad mom, you need to take better care of your pet. How can you possibly not take the best care of her that you can. You don't even deserve to have a dog. ABUSER!" Okay, so maybe they don't actually SAY it, but they are thinking it! They put such a guilt trip on me, that how can I NOT do it? Then to make matters worse, I have to go home and tell Blake that he has to fork out half a grand to get our pooch's teeth sparkly clean. Yesterday, when I broke him the news, it drove him into a cussing, ranting, frenzy. So, now I have to decide. Am I more afraid of the vet, or Blake? Who will rant the most. Can't we all just get along? Well, I've gotta run, it's time to give the dog her pain pills and antibiotics. Oh, yeah, and I have to cook her a scrambled egg. The vet said I have to. Perhaps we should put her in our will as well.
Friday, March 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I think it's a dog food conspiracy. Dog teeth never used to rot out like they do now days. Every time I take Sanook to the vet they comment on how good his teeth look. "Nothing like they should." I don't know what that means, and why they always sound a little disappointed, but I do think it's all a canine dental conspiracy.
That is too funny! Wow and way pricey! I got my wisdom tooth pulled the other day for about $13.
Post a Comment